Legal Doc [English] Jan. 21, 2008 Prime Minister's Office Response Re Support for Pollard
Posted: February 18, 2008
Translated to English by J4JP
Click here to view the original Hebrew document.
The Prime Minister's Office
Jerusalem, 14 Shevat 5768
21 January 2008
File No: 10 Aleph -60364
Attorney Nitsana Darshan-Leitner
Beit HaKeren, Rechov Hata'as 10
Ramat Gan 52512
Support by the State of Israel for Jonathan Pollard and his close associates
Reference: Your letter to the Prime Minister of 29/10/07
Your letter to the Prime Minister as referenced above was transferred to me for response and I am honored to respond as follows:
Firstly, we apologize for the delay in our response.
Throughout the years the Government of Israel has done and continues to do in order to assist Jonathan Pollard and his close associates.
The Government has done much for Mr. Pollard in various ways, some of which is described in responses to various legal petitions that were filed in his case. We avoid revealing details of all the assistance and contacts that were made in this case out of respect for personal privacy and of course for reasons of sensitivity, and out of a desire not to harm the case itself.
The State has allocated resources for the personal needs of Mr. Pollard, the personal needs of Mr. Pollard's ex-wife, Mrs. Ann Pollard, and the personal needs of his present wife, Mrs. Esther Pollard. Many times this was done [assistance was provided] beyond the letter of the law, out of humanitarian concern, and out of consideration for the plight of Mr. Pollard.
Only recently, help was given to Mrs. Esther Pollard in order to arrange her legal status in Israel for the purpose of obtaining medical care and to arrange her affairs with Israel's National Insurance (Bituach Leumi.) The Israeli consular team in Atlanta handles the requests of Mr. Pollard and his wife on an on-going basis and maintains constant contact with them.
Of course the efforts to free Jonathan Pollard and the assistance that is being given to him and to his close associates will continue, whether on an official level or on other levels as well.
Shulamit Barnea Fargo
Mr. Ehud Olmert, Prime Minister
Mr. Oved Yechezkiel, Cabinet Secretary
- Hebrew Text: Via Attorney, Pollard Challenges Israel Govt. Lies - J4JP Release:
- Legal Doc: Original Letter [Hebrew]: Pollard Atty. Nitsana Darshan-Leitner Responds to Govt. Lies - Feb. 13, 2008:
- Legal Doc [Hebrew]: Prime Minister's Office Response re: Support for Pollard - Jan. 21, 2008
- Via Attorney, Pollard Challenges Israel Govt. Lies Re Support: Justice4JP Release - Feb. 18, 2008
- Legal Doc: [Hebrew]: Pollard Attorney Demands Govt. Clarify Statements on Support for Pollard - Oct. 29, 2007:
- Attachment [Hebrew] to Legal Doc. - Oct. 29, 2007
Sample of Govt. form letter disseminating lies about support for Pollard
- Legal Doc [Hebrew]: Prime Minister's Office 2nd Response re: Support for Pollard - Mar. 9, 2008 (JPEG)