Rabbinical Alliance Issues Policy Statement on Pollard
The Jewish Press (NY) - September 3, 1999
At a recent press conference convened by Assemblyman Dov Hikind in front of the exploratory Senatorial campaign office of the first lady, Mrs. Hillary Clinton, in the presence of leading rabbis and Jewish organizational leaders, a Policy Statement Regarding Jonathan Pollard was released by the Rabbinical Alliance of America.
The Rabbinical Alliance - Iggud HaRabbonim - numbers almost 700 Member Rabbis with a concentration in the greater New York City metropolitan area, reflecting Jewish population demographics. As leaders of congregations, religious teachers, heads of Jewish organizations, and communal leaders, Member Rabbis personally impart their political expectations. A United States Senator hopeful desiring to represent the State of New York must understand and acknowledge the sentiments of its constituents.
As far back as 1993 a clarion proclamation (printed as a full page ad in Yated Ne'eman) calling upon everyone to exert whatever influence possible to free Jonathan Pollard from imprisonment was signed by preeminent rabbis, Roshei Yeshivas, and Chassideshe Rebbes including:
- Rabbi Ahron Moshe Schecter: Rosh Yeshiva, Yeshiva R. Chaim Berlin
- Rabbi Alter Chanoch Henoch HaKohen Leibowitz: Rosh Yeshiva, Yeshivas Chofetz Chaim
- Rabbi Aryeh Malkiel Kotler: Rosh Yeshiva, Beis Medrash Gedola, Lakewood
- Rabbi Avraham Ya'akov HaKohen Pam: Rosh Yeshiva, Mesivta Torah Vodaas
- Rabbi Moshe Stern: Rav of Debrecin
- Rabbi Ya'akov Perlow: Nominsker Rebbe
- Rabbi Shmuel Kamenetsky: Rosh Yeshiva, Talmudical Yeshiva of Philadelphia
- Rabbi Shmuel Berenbaum: Rosh Yeshiva, Mirrer Yeshiva
- Rabbi Ya'akov Weinberg: Rosh Yeshiva, Yeshiva Ner Yisroel, Baltimore
- Rabbi Simcha Bunim Ehrenfeld: Matesdorfer Rav
- Rabbi Reuven Feinstein: Rosh Yeshiva, Yeshiva of Staten Island
- Rabbi Z. Hirsh Tevel: Rabbi, Congregation Siach HaSadeh
- Rabbi M. Gifter: Rosh Yeshiva, Telshe Yeshiva
- Rabbi Zacharyah Gelley: Rav, Av Beis Din, Khal Adas Yeshurun, N.Y.C.
- Rabbi Yosef Yitzchok, Feigelstock: Rosh Yeshiva, Mesivta of Long Beach
- Rabbi Leib Baksi: Rosh Yeshiva, Yeshiva Ateres Mordechai
- Rabbi Ahron Zelif Halevi Epstein: Rosh Yeshiva, Yeshiva Shaar HaTorah of Gorodna
- Rabbi Avraham Chaim Levin: Rosh Yeshiva, Telshe Yeshiva, Chicago
- Ha Rav Mordecai David Reuvin: The Admor of Sasaragen
- Rabbi Menashe Klein: Rosh Yeshiva, Bais Shearim, Av Beis Din Ungar
- Rabbi Elyn Svei: Rosh Yeshiva, Talmudical Yeshiva of Philadelphia
Many more rabbis have issued similar calls. The Pollard Policy Statement of the Rabbinical Alliance conforms to this important proclamation. *[See An Urgent Appeal From The Great Rabbis]
A delegation of Member Rabbis of the Rabbinical Alliance attended the press conference to formally issue the Policy Statement. In the presence of Rabbi Fabian Schonfield, President of the Poalei Agudath Israel and Rav of Young Israel of Kew Gardens; Rabbi Pesach Lerner, National Council of Young Israel Executive Vice President; and Rabbi Dovid Goldwasser, Rav of Kahal Bais Yitzchok, Jewish Press Columnist and author of "Something to Say"; and Rabbi David Hellebore, Rosh Yeshiva Bais Isaac RVI, Rabbi Gershon Tannenbaum, Rabbinical Alliance Director, speaking at the press conference, flanked by the delegation of Member Rabbis which included Rabbi Nochum Zvi Josephy, Rav of Beis Medrash HaGadol of Boro Park; Rabbi Avroham Dovid Katz of Congregation Migdash Avroham D'Porgibisht; and Rabbi Joseph Salomon, President of Yeshiva Ohr Torah, formally declared:
"The Rabbinical Alliance of America, representing almost 700 Orthodox Rabbis, issues this call to the President of the United States, to the First Lady, and to all those in positions of influence for the obvious and stated reasons, to effect the release of Jonathan Pollard, incarcerated for almost 15 years. The Rabbinical Alliance, as a matter of policy, will vigorously support every legitimate effort to achieve the release of Jonathan Pollard."
Rabbi Avraham B. Hecht, Rabbinical Alliance President and author of the Pollard Policy Statement, commended Assemblyman Dov Hikind for bravely thrusting the Pollard issue to the very top of the Senatorial campaign agenda.
Senate Race page
Jewish Unity page