Cabinet Expresses Disappointmnet Over Pollard Letter
Middle East Newsline - January 17, 1999
JERUSALEM [MENL] -- Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu expressed
disappointment on Sunday with the refusal by opposition leader to sign a joint appeal for the release of Jonathan Pollard,
sentenced to life for passing U.S. secrets to Israel.
Netanyahu was referring to a letter drafted by the prime minister and
sent to Barak last week. The letter, a joint appeal to President Bill
Clinton to release Pollard, was rejected by the Labor Party chairman.
Absorption Minister Yuli Edelstein, who initiated the letter, attacked
Barak during the weekly Cabinet meeting. "I wish to express my disgust
over Barak's refusal to join the prime minister's entreaty to President
Clinton for the release of Jonathan Pollard," a Cabinet communique
quoted Edelstein as saying.
Netanyahu agreed. "I am very disappointed by Barak's refusal to sign
the request for Pollard's freedom," he said. "This is a matter of
national, not political, interest; all Israelis understand that the
State of Israel must bring Pollard -- who worked on Israel's behalf --
home. I had hoped for a wall-to-wall, national consensus on this
matter, which would have strengthened Pollard's chances of being
Sources close to Barak said the letter was opposed by the Labor Party
leader's U.S. political advisers. But Barak aides said he was angered
that the content of the letter was leaked to reporters before he
Edelstein said he had intended to send the letter to Clinton during his review of the Pollard case. A reported recommendation to reduce Pollard's sentence to 25 years -- which would make him eligible for release in 2002
*[Justice for JP Note: This bogus plan would delay the issue but NOT bring release in 2002, only a new date for elegibility. See media release] -- has been opposed by many senior administration officials.